This SUCKS! 06.30.08

Jett will be 2 next month and still drinks a bottle to go to sleep and when he wakes up in the morning, so Enoch and I are trying to get him off "THE BOTTLE" It's really really hard, especially cause he has a brother that is 12 months younger than him who still drinks like 3 or 4 bottles a day.. Well, yesterday was our first attempt at NO BOTTLE ALL DAY/ALL NIGHT.. and IT SUCKED! He cried for 2 hours at 4:00 in the morning (usually he sleeps through the night, but of course on the night we say "no more bottles" he wakes up and wants one) usually we just give it to him so he'll shut up and not wake up Bryton.. but it's gotta stop sometime! He woke up at about 8:00 crying next to our bed for a FREAKING BOTTLE! UGH! At least he never took a pacifier so I won't have to take him off that, I can't imagine..




Some people say, "just have him drink outta a sippee cup", well he won't! He'll drink juice or water out of it.. but NOT MILK! So that's not gonna happen. So, we're just gonna have him quit "cold turkey". I just wanna give up and say,"Oh for hell sakes, just give him a fetching bottle!" so I can get the sleep I need.. ha ha

Does it get easier? How did you guys get your kids off a bottle? What age? Any Suggestions.. or am I doin the right thing?

24 comments:

Michelle said...

hahahhaa Jobi I LOVE you

Anonymous said...

Honestly, I don't remember how I got Zac off a bottle. Good luck. It can't last forever, so stick to it. You're a good mommy.

Tiffini said...

We took brightyn's away cold turkey. it was horrible for about three or four days. Then he was perfectly fine and doesn't even try to get haydens. Put milk in it and when he gets thirsty enough he will drink it. I know its hard but don't give in. We did brightyn about 3 months ago and we're working on the binki which is even harder than the bottle. Good luck and if you need any advice I'm here.

{sara} said...

We took Bo's away at 17 mos. It was really hard because his mom kept giving it to him, but the Dr. said to stop due to ear infections. (we had joint custody from 1-2 years) We had him for a week at Christmas & I took it the 1st night. It was hell for the 1st 2-3 days, but by the end of the week, he was done! Stick to it, it'll get easier!

Russ and Suz Adamson said...

We too had to go cold turkey..Well kind of..we put water in that puppy for the first couple of nights and then..gone.. Boston cried for a couple of nights and then..bam. Out of a bottle but every kid is so different and it does make it WAY harder when he sees his little bro drinking it out of it. Good luck. You can make it happen. You are driven my friend!

jayni & ben said...

You are doing the right thing. Take it away from him. Hims is a big boy now and hims doesn't need it anymore. haha Just kidding. But yes I am sure it will get easier like everyone else said. You gotta do it sometime. You don't want him drinking one in high school do ya?!?

Rachel said...

You are doing the right thing. He crys because he thinks that you will give in, when he finds out that you wont he will stop. Well my kids did. I took the bottle away when they were a year. It will be hard for about 3 days. But yeah cold turkey is the best way. Dont cave. HAHAHA... Your a great mom...

jodi kay said...

Cold turkey is definately the way to go. I was forced to take it away from some of my kids. Lexi bit the nipples off then dumped the bottled out. Israel would just hold his bottle upside down and let it drip everywhere. Maddi wouldn't drink milk out of a cup either so I just got o.j. with calcium and she loved that.

Joy :) said...

Wow, good luck Jobes. Kael is two and I'm givin him as many bottles as he needs. Especially to go to sleep, and during the night, and everytime he wakes up, and, and etc. etc. Maybe I better take him off too. Just Kiddinggggg I would never do that to myself. We're coming to Utah in a couple of weeks. I'm gonna freaking give all my kids a bottle if any one of them start crying.

Kim and Adam said...

Well my dad put salt water in my bottle cause I was the same way... I took one sip and threw it across the room and never had a bottle again.. Kinda harsh but hey it might work??

Brandon and Lindsay said...

ha ha I don't have any kids so I guess I'm not that great at advice! I do know though that Brandon had the same problem...finally his parents burnt them all in the back yard. No temptation that way!!

mckenna said...

Everyone's advice is what I experienced. Three days of hell and not giving in and then it's pretty much over. My mom did this with us and I did it with Payson: We put all the bottles away (out of sight) and got one last one. I cut the tips so they were still hanging on and put a tiny bit of milk in them and then gave it to Payson. When she realized it was broken she just looked at me confused. I said, "Uh oh! It's broken! Let's throw it in the trash!" And I let her put it in. Then any time she asked for the bottle I'd remind her. "What happened to the bottle?" She's say, "Broken". And I'd ask her where it was and she'd tell me in the trash. So I'd kind of laugh so she was okay with it and she was fine. It helped a lot. She still cried a few times for it, but not much. Don't worry though. It will be over in a few days as long as you stick to your guns!!

Jamie said...

HAHAHaa Joy you make me laff.

I don't remember bottle tricks. Except when it's 2 a.m. and he's about to wake up his brother... I'm a wimp I'd cave in... and I'd probably let him sleep in my bed too, and take the covers off me.
And kick me in the back.

Lorina said...

Oy, the bottle wars... I was about to write a similar post but only for Maddox. He is SO attached to that bloody thing! Ugh. He is only ten months but I wanted to see how he reacted to fewer bottles.. truth is it's not good. I have no idea what to do either.

Brooklyn was broke from the bottle, at 11 months. But she had her pacifier until she was 20 months. So it's the same thing.

Good Luck! to both of us! haha

Heather said...

"usually we just give it to him so he'll shut up and not wake up Bryton" lol loved that part

Bean There...Done That said...

Press forward with strength mom! I used to cut the nipple off of one of bottles and their binkis and that's all she wrote, they were done. Good Luck, maybe you could wean both of the boys at the same time.
Wishin you many zzzzzzzzzzzzz's.
Al Bean

Lisa Johnson said...

Girl, I am in the EXACT same boat you are!!! I tried giving Autumn a sippy and she threw a ROYAL FIT and cried so hard she made herself throw up. I don't know what to do either??? If you find something that works, for sure let me know! LOVE YA!

kEnZiE b said...

I know it wouldn't be the easiest thing but.. you could try weaning both of the boys off of the bottle. That way Jett wouldn't see Bryton with a bottle and want one. We weaned Maddie of at about 11-12 months and it actually worked really good!! Good luck, awe the joys of parenthood!!

Nat said...

Sam took a while to get off the bottle. I started with cups with the really soft almost nipple type type (nuby). Then he would aonly drink juice out of it. So the next step was to give him his milk with a little chocolate in it. Then I had to get him off the chocolate. That was not as hard.

Maybe you can take both boys off bottles at the same time. The it would be 3-6 nights of 2 grumpy boys and not just one.

Cups durning the day for both and a bottle at night for the baby? Then Jett will not see the bottle at night.

That is all I have. GOOD LUCK!

Wendy Day said...

Oh my goodness I remember those days. It was a nightmare. I totally feel for you. We just gave them a bottle in the morning & then one at night for about a month & introduced the sippy cup. You know they have sippy cups with nipples right? They are fantastic. My kids took a binky or as they like to call it a boj. Cody use to have 2 or 3 in his mouth at a time. He would hide them. If we ever needed one all we had to do was tell him to go get one and he would. Kaylee was harder then Cody getting off the boj. One day we lost them all & we put her to sleep. After 5 hrs of crying Jonathan found one & gave it to her. I just about died. So I was mean & took it away again. I figured the night was almost over & I didn't want to do it again. UGH!! Good luck!

Jon and Tasha Fam said...

haha!!! Good luck, I never used bottles so I am no help. I heard it's hard!!!

Micalanne said...

Don't cave in! Be strong! Wean them both at the same time. It is really hard, but stick with it and you will be so glad that you did. Just think of what it will be like to not have to have bottles for the babies when you take them out somewhere...it's a beautiful thing! Good luck! If I lived by you, I would keep the boys with me until they were off the bottle then give them back until it's time to potty train! ;)

Staci Davies said...

Yeah, just don't give in. It's so hard, but he'll never remember crying back to sleep a few times ya know. You are doing the right thing! You are a great mom. Saryn is off her bottles by accident. I only brought one on our trip and she through it out the train we were on on the first day, so she had to just drink out of the sippy cup. She'll take anything anytime, so it's been easy luckily. I'm sorry. I'm sure you'll have him off it in no time :)

Hayward Family said...

haha!! I haven't attempted it yet! Cy LOVES his bottles!! HE is 15 months now, and so we might go down that road soon, but it's hard when he can say "bottle" because then you know he is tired! It's so easy to just shove it in his grill when he starts to fuss so that he sleeps longer! haha.. I don't know what we will do! Cy LOVES Bottles!! Good luck! Let me know what you ended up doing, and if it worked! Love ya!