::Advice please::

For all of you nursing mother's out there, I need some advice! I only nursed Jett for 6 weeks, I nursed Bryton for 4 months and he would take a bottle as well, so eventually I just stopped nursing and gave him a bottle. Well, with Oakley, she's NEVER taken a bottle, or even been a slight bit interested in one. That or a binky. I've only nursed her.

She just turned one and I want to stop nursing. I'm gonna start getting some weird looks considering how tall she is. My 18 year old sister "gags" when I feed her. haha. HOW DO YOU WEAN A BABY FROM NURSING?? Any tips? What worked for you? When did you quit?

I've tried sippy cups (3 different kinds to be exact) sure she'll drink out of it, but NO WAY to go to sleep for a nap or at night? I HATE living in an apartment, because people surround us and I HATE letting her just cry and annoy everyone. I swear there is ZERO kids that live near us. I give in and just nurse her. I heard that if you wait till they're like 14 months, they communicate better with you and it's easier?? HELP ME.

12 comments:

The Starkers said...

I wrote a post, but it said error and I was logged into my sister's, so I hope you dont get 2 of these! I never had this problem with Emery, she took a bottle and was weaned off breast milk after a few months, but Edyn I let her kind of self-wean, but it took 23 months. I just changed the subject when she brought it up and then she forgot. But by then she was only nursing once maybe twice a day and I was almost empty anyway. She distract her and only feed her when she needs a nap, then after a while cut those out too. Or just go cold turkey and it will probably only take a few hard days. My sisters thought it was gross too lol, I just ignored them. I stopped nursing her in public at about 17 months though. She was pretty tall too and I felt a little weird.

Liana Brown said...

I didn't really have this problem either... Jaxon refused to nurse... we barely last 3 months! Anyway, one of my good friends had a hard time weaning her little boy. Around 13 months she tried everything... and he refused to take a bottle from her. What she discovered was he wouldn't take a bottle from her... cuz he knew she had the "goods". So she enlisted the help of her mom and hubby. Sounds super harsh... but she would leave the room (or go outside) and they would give him a bottle. Took him about 2 {HARD} days and he finally gave in. Once he realized he can still get milk... but through a bottle, he didn't care who gave it to him. All kids are so different... so good luck!! Sorry this was so long!!

Jon and Julie Melton said...

Jayni and I will help you :) Love me some Oaks :)

Keith Family said...

Neither of my kids would take a bottle! Ever!! But they were both weaned by 12 months and used sippy cups. But, Jack wouldn't take a sippy cup or bottle at all at first. The Dr. told me to let him get thirsty and not give in and I did and then he drank from a regular cup for a few days (which was a pain and a huge mess) but then he realized it was faster and more convenient in a sippy cup. Good Luck. It can be so stressful and super hard. Just do what works for you.

tjandalisha said...

The best thing for the both of you if you want to stop is you need to go on vacation for a few days by yourself and let someone else take her, mom hubby etc and she will eventually take it if she is hungry or wants a drink. The pediatrican i work for tells our pts all the time that is the only way to do it, just to sippys or cups not bottles, it may be hard for both of you for a few days but it works.

Kate said...

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm ready to be done nursing, especially now that he has sharp little teeth. I've been giving him a sippy cup with warmed up milk and he is starting to like it better. If he would take it consistently, I'd cut him off from nursing. I'm guessing it is going to take a few hard days like the others have said. Let me know when you find a good system that works. Good luck.

Rheanna said...

Sadly, I'm one of those mean moms that will feed the kids crackers and lots of dry foods so that they are desperate for a drink and will drink out of a sippy cup. My personal fav are the Nuby silicone tip ones, much like a bottle and easy to get the water or whatever out. Start by warming the milk and that always helps. Or if your girl has a sweet tooth, try 1/2 apple juice 1/2 water and see if that goes down better. Just be consistent and don't give in. It's hard, but eventually they cave. Still cuddle though-that's often a HUGE part of it for my kids! I'm working on getting rid of the bottle....Good Luck!!!

Jon and Tasha Fam said...

HA mya was the exact same way. I finally quit her at 14 months. For naps DONT nurse, Try to cut down to once a day. Then just say no more, I feel your pain ugh I am sorry

Kaeloni said...

So glad you posted this! I'm trying the same thing with my little girl and she won't take a bottle or sippy cup for the life of her!!! Got some good advice, thanks again!

Brendan said...

I would like to pretend that I have some advice, but I don't. I'm sorry you are stressing about this, I would be too! Good luck. I can't wait to see you next week. Melissa and I are counting down the hours.
P.S. I would still love you if you didn't know how to do my hair so stinkin' well ;) We need to get our kids together at a park or something.

Woods said...

Oh man, I hate that part! Both of my boys would never take a bottle! When they were about 12 months I just started offering a sippy cup (the kind with a straw, if you give them a straw cup it seems like they don't get as attatched so you don't have to wean them again.) I would still nurse for a while along with the cup and soon enough they would get used to the cup. It's a pain sometimes but totally worth it! Usually I would try to get them full right before their nap with snacks and the sippy cup so there would be no room for nursing. I hope this helps, but every baby is different! Good luck. You are the cutest Mom ever! Your kiddos are so adorable!!

Kelli Proctor said...

ok so with my first 2 I just quit nursing when they were ready, my last 2 on the other hand..well they are definitely done at 12 months....and if I remember right my solution with Jack was I went away for the weekend and when I came back he didnt want to nurse...I am thinking thats what I will hopefully do with Roxy too....Good luck!!!!!