Opinions Please??



I've heard mixed feelings on the H1N1 virus vaccine (is that what you call it? ha ha) .. I'm too lazy to study and read about it. It's a scary thing either way..

Everyone that I've known that has had the swine flu said it has SUCKED!! SO SO SO BAD! SO miserable and so sick, but after they received some medication from the doctor, etc. and recovered they haven't had any problems since. They didn't die and I've only heard of like 3 people hospitalized and they had other pre-existing conditions, but too, overcame it. I also heard that this time around it's going to be worse than last?? Who knows, I hear so many different things?

Have they tested it on pregnant women, did their babies turn out fine?? I know some people that are completely against vaccines and immunizations (which is completely fine). They say just keep my kids warm all the time, give them vitamins daily, wash and sanitize their hands multiple times a day, try to have them eat the healthiest they can, etc. that they should be fine? Do you feel it's a risk NOT to get it or TO get it? Hmmm... Some people lined up early to go get their kids and themselves the vaccine (which is completely fine as well), did you? How was it? Why did you?

WHAT'S YOUR OPINION?

29 comments:

Kristi said...

Thanks for posting this...I am wondering the same thing! I don't know what to do with my girls...their old ped. doctor included it (with a go ahead from me of course) with their check-up, so I always did it...but now I have to make an extra appointment...so should I or shouldn't I? I'm interested to hear what people say!

Monica said...

My doctor recommended both flu vaccines. I got the regular vaccine last year and this year but haven't had the H1N1 vaccine yet. I had the regular flu twice during my pregnancy before I finally got the vaccine, and the regular flu was miserable enough. I don't think I want to risk getting the swine flu too. I guess I just trust my doctors a lot and I haven't had any problems with vaccines in the past.

pwincessdi said...

I was about to get my kids the vaccine, until I posted it on fb, and one of my friends told me to not get it, cause our mutual friend is a nurse up at Primary Childrens and she said the vaccine isn't even FDA approved yet!! WTH!!! Yeah so I opted to not give it to them, and just hope & pray that if they ever did get it a priesthood blessing would heal them :)

Matt and Jayna said...

I'm totally paranoid about my kids getting sick and getting the swine flu (I'm a germ freak anyway), but I am one of those people that don't do vaccines or flu shots. There are SO many strains of flu's and you have no idea which strain you are going to get through the flu shot or going to get naturally. My OB encouraged me to get the shot/vaccine, whatever it is, but I'm not. I know a lot of people that have been really sick lately and that have had the swine flu that didn't get as sick. From what I've heard it is just like any other flu and worse case scenario you could die from any flu, not just swine flu. I'm a little iffy on getting it for me, because I don't know how it would effect my baby and I don't like not knowing what is being put in my body. Anyways, I don't know how much to write about it, but hopefully this helps a little bit and makes some sense. I'm not known for making sense. :0) Good luck!

Leesa said...

ok so i was so freaked out by the whole thing and so i called my dr and talked to him. he said that if i was his wife and wade was his son he would have us down there the minute it came out. the swine flu IS NOT NEW!!! it has been around before. my mother in law got vaccinated back when she was little for it when there was an out break. i was SHOCKED to find this out! i went on thursday and got my son and i the shot. i feel good about it. my dr also said that pregnant women are 4 times more likely to be hospitalized or die from it than the normal person. he just released a pregnant girl after being hospitalized for 70 days and while she was there she has numerous near death experiences. that SCARED me! anyways... this is a novel... sorry!!

The Leatherberry's said...

Ughhhh!!!! I hate this! I am with you on this one cause I don't know what to do either. I almost want to see how this year goes to see if I do it next year but wonder if that's worth it. I've beard opinions both ways like on here too. I just don't know what to do!!! Seriously, once you get more info and make a decision let me know:)

Hiatts said...

I got my kids the shot. I am allfor anything that can help protect us from something so miserable. They are not offering it to me yet up here.

Matt and Amie said...

The swine flu is not new and has been around for a long time. I figure I would rather keep my kids safe instead of seeing them sick or in the hospital, so I would just get it! Better safe than sorry!

Kate said...

I read that the swine flu vaccine was manufactured by the same people who do the normal flu shots, and if they had had more time, they would have incorporated the swine flue strains in with the normal flu vaccines.
At the hospital I work out, they are giving out swine flue vaccines to pregnant women and children first since they are most susceptible. My OB recommended that I get the both flu shots, so I am. I don't feel like she is going to push something that is going to harm me.

Carrie said...

Benson has H1N1 right this very minute (woke up from his nap with it yesterday) and is actually doing ok. It has been going around my group of friends like crazy and everyone has been fine so far (and yes it is swine flu--- the first person got tested and all our kids play together and so have passed it around). We aren't getting the vaccine, but only because every year some parts of our family get a fu shot and others don't and I SWEAR every year the only person in my fam who doesn't get the flu is the one who didn't get the shot. haha It's probably just fine though if you want to get it.

dlhadlock said...

I say don't get it because it has mercury in it and that is not good for you. It has more then just the regular flu vaccine. I always get the flu ten times worse when I get the shot so I have not gotten in for about 6 years and I have only had the flu about 4 times sense so not bad. Good luck. Jaeden had a slight case of the swine fly already and he is totally fine and it went away after about 30 hours. None of the rest of us have gotten it yet.

Kings said...

i have no idea. I have never had the flu...so i'm kinda hoping that it will stay that way and I won't have to worry about it :) But i want to know what you decide.

weasel said...

Besides the fact that the vaccine is gone in most places for a few weeks, I don't think there is enough research that it is that much better than the regular flu shot and I'm not getting for O yet...we'll see what comes about!

Des said...

I was in your shoes too. I didn't want to get Kale a shot that he didn't need or wasn't good for him. But, at my school and at the U, where Chandler is at, they have really been getting ready for an epidemic and I was starting to freak out a little. So after talking to Kale's Dr., I finally decided to have Kale get the vaccine last Friday and I have felt really good about the decision. I think it's everyone's one decision but I felt that this was the best one for us :) Hope that helps a little!

jayni & ben said...

Everytime I read a comment mine opinion changes. I do not even know what to do about this. I have never gotten the flu. Ben had the swine flu during the summer and I never got it even though I slept in the same bed and stuff as him?! His brother and sister had it as well. I just don't know?

Randi A. said...

I think the vaccine is just too new. They don't really know what the long term side effects are. That kind of scares me. Hudson and I had H1N1 last week and while it really sucked. I'd rather deal with it than give myself a bigger problem later.

Tyler, Amanda, Braxton, and Boston said...

I think everyone is in the same dang boat! I am going crazy worrying about it! I think my husband could kill me! I fianlly broke down today and went and got it for Braxton & I and here is the reasons....
A.) I finally dug down deep in me & I just feel like if I do everything I can possible to protect my kids I won't as many regrets if something were to happen I just feel like it would be in the lords hands and it was meant to be if something ended up happening! ( even though I am still freaking out ha ha hoping I did the right thing) I know that may sound crazy and to religous to some but I know I would so rather be able to keep my child and have them have a permenant side affect of it then losing them for good.

B.) Probably doesn't help that my landlord is a Doctor At Utah Valley and she tells me quite a bit!! Her staff has a weekly meeting on Mondays and each week the reports get worse and worse! She told me the other day that across the U.S. they have had a few cases so far that the swine flu has hit pregnant women so hard they have had to keep a few pregnant mother alive a long as possible just so the baby was big enough for the Dr's to take. All of these mothers have ended up dying once the babies were born because the H1N1 just took over! FREAKY!

And C.) My Dr has told me over and over to get it! And I should trust him right? =0)

I was seriously in the same boat for over a week now and finally just gave in! Braxton has had RSV 2 times already this year and so he is at such a high risk! So I have been stressing out! I may not have done the right thing but at least I know i tried! I feel fine and the shot was actually almost 100% less painful then the reg flu shot I got 3 weeks ago! Good luck with the decision I know how hard it is to decide! Just thought I would pass along my opinion as well. Love ya! I am so excited for you and so excited you are getting a girl! She's going to be darling! Keep us updated on the pregnany!

Shari and Trent said...

I know a few pregnant women and all of their doctors have told them to go get it. I don't know about if I would get it for my little kids but I am getting it only because my doctor said to.

Rebecca said...

I think if you're going to get it, get it while it's still warm, so you're not suffering with the flu or swine flu in the colder months when it's harder to shake the illness. :)

RiCe _FaMiLy said...

I do not feel 100% safe with the shot because it's so new. I have heard many many things about it (especially working at the hospital) and I have heard more Dr say NOT to get it. I have also heard that they have put stuff in the vaccine to sterilize men and women. I think you really have to go with your gut on this one.

The Keala's said...

Me, Kaluna, and Keola all have the swine flu RIGHT now!! And yes it SUCKS! But I am almost better and my two boys are on meds for it... I was going to get the shot but after having the virus its not that big of a deal, I was out cold for about 4 days. And so far baby and me are just fine! I feel a lot better about beating it without over medicating my pregnant body...

Kellie said...

I honestly did not want to get the vaccine because I am worried what it will do to the baby. I was set on the fact that I just wouldn't catch it and then I would be fine. Well today I worked at IMC in the ER and EVERYONE was wearing masks. It totally freaked me out. All I could think of was what if I catch it? What would it do to the baby if I have to take the medication to get better? Its kind of a toss up. I have my doctor appointment next week so I will let him decide for me. If he recommends it, I am definately getting it.

kEnZiE b said...

I would get it, and I would get it for your kids! I even got the live mist and I'm fine. The reason I got it is because I work at the hospital and I'm exposed to it daily!! I've seen alot of really really sick little kids, that's why mine are going to get the vaccine. People are worried, but they shouldn't be.. the H1N1 vaccine doesn't have any more mercury in it than your regular vaccines, which is very little because it's used as a preservative in multi dose viles, you can even get a single dose injection with no Mercury in it, just ask your Dr. what one they are giving. I was really worried about this at first too, but I sat and talked to our Infection Control Nurse and she says that she's more comfortable getting the H1N1 vaccine because it has been broken down and tested more times than the seasonal flu vaccine!!

Try here: http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/pregnant_qa.htm

You're an awesome mom, just do what YOU feel is best for your kids!!

Nick and Sabrina Zurcher said...

this has nothing to do with the swine flu...But congrats on the girl you will love it!!!!

Kelli Proctor said...

So I dont know! I have totally been going back and forth on this one! I just talked to Rog this morning, who is all for everything medical and nothing natural, and he said he didnt want our kids to get it because he heard people have died from getting the vaccine! I also worry about it being new and not knowing how it would affect my baby! AAAAAAAH! Its so hard to know!

Marion said...

I'm all for vaccinations. I think if we can prevent it why not!

Tiffini said...

ill let you know tomorrow. i think i have the swine flu so im having my dad take me bc im pregnant. i just dont want to hurt my baby but in our xounty theyre really pushing old people pregnant woman and childten to get it. if i have it which im like 95% sure i do this sucks i can barely breathe and i cant move without ryans help

Jamie said...

Job, my client last night, who is delivering babies at the IMC hospital said.. 25% of pregnant women that are getting swine flu are dying. He said it's bad, really bad. That means 1 out of every 4.
He also said that Utah has a high amount of people getting the piggie flu... you know why? Well because idiots don't stay home from work or church or school when they are sick.
So please stay clear of sickies.
I'm not saying you should get the vaccine, hahaaa that's too much pressure for me to say, just that no one thought this flu was going to be a pandemic (and look whats happening now)

I'm so happy I get to have a Great-niece, and Fayth is already planning dancing lessons.:) Love u tonz
Auntie

Jeff and Brandi said...

I work in the ICU and we have had a lot of swine flu patients really really sick. I got the vaccine and will get my family when more are available. I was nervous about it, but every DR. that I work with has told me that everyone should get. it.