08.13.08

J.J. is currently serving as the Assistant to the President in his mission right now, his past few e-mails have been awesome. I miss him more than ever and can't wait to see him again


Well today we got another e-mail from him, in the e-mail he told us a story that I just cried when I read I just have to share it, you might have already read it on Jayni's blog, but here it goes:

On Sunday we had a great opportunity to visit Michael and Robert. These two are just unreal people. They are from Africa they fled and escaped after both of there families were killed by some rebel forces. They both came from different parts of Africa. One of them was lined up in the forest with his family and these people just shot them down?? Can you believe stuff like that really happens? Anyway he just layed down and faked that he was dead and as soon as they left he sprinted and hopped onto a boat and became acquainted with the other one. They originally thought the boat was headed to England instead they ended up in Riga?? Might I add they are probably 2 of the 10 black people here? But one had a friend who was actually a missionary and the first thing on his mind was to find the church and find the missionaries. So he walked into the church was taught with his friend and now they live in a jail thing. It’s where they keep illegal immigrants. The problem is when they came here they didn’t have any form of identification. So they have been kept in a jail with a bunch of Russians for almost a year. They did get permission to get out for a day to get baptized the guards were in the bathroom when they were changing into their baptismal clothes. Pretty intense story right... Well now we take the sacrament to them every Sunday they put us in a little room and there is a guard that sits outside. Hearing this story you would think that they have a lot to complain about but in my life I have never met more Christ like people. I honestly feel like dirt when I walk about because they are just so humble and grateful and loving. They have been eating potatoes for almost a year straight. No fruit or anything. They were given some triple combos and King James Version of the bible and have been studying it like animals. Their biggest desire is to share this with the world. They both testified that when they get out it is what they will do they didn’t say ill go get a hamburger, I'll go watch TV, I'll go hang out with my family or friends, get a job find money or whatever their biggest desire is to share the peace and love they feel everyday. I am humbled to say I even met these men. It is one of the most amazing experiences visiting them. I didn’t write this story very well but it's okay I'm sure you will see it in the Ensign soon. They read the Ensigns and saw that you can give stories and stuff so they are planning on writing it in detail.

What incredible members of the church these 2 men are. This story touched my heart and makes me wanna be a better Latter Day Saint. I complain over stupid things, there is alot worse things out there that I need to be reminded of.. Thanks Jage! Missionary Work is AMAZING! I can't wait for my sons to serve missions, I hope and pray everyday that I can raise them in righteousness so they will one day have the desire to serve.

14 comments:

Dusti said...

Hey Jobe...We are building just outside the ranches...I think. Its on the neiborhood next to the golfcoarse on the east side...not the big houses one the one after that..Im not sure what its called but we should be getting started here soon in the next month. we move into an apartment up in cottonwood heights for the next 6 months while we are building. on saturday we move. i am so excited. i've lived with my in laws for a year now!!! you will have to let me know where or if there are any good preschools out there. im excited for the walmart..our house will only be 3 minutes away!!! we'll have to get our kids together. my boy needs a wrestling friend..does your boys like to rough house...cuz mine sure does!!!

jodi kay said...

Your boys will be great missionaries, just like their uncle and their dad and their grandpa! That is such an amazing letter. What an unreal experience. We take for granted our lives here.

Joy :) said...

I did read it JObi, but it is worth reading again. It is so amazing. What a great experience for JJ.

Danielle and Fam said...

AWESOME! There is nothing like the gospel!

Shari and Trent said...

That is an awesome story, stories like that make me want to do better because I need to do a lot better!

mckenna said...

That makes two of your posts recently that have made me cry!! You weiner!! :) I need to be such a better mother and prepare my son (and future sons) to be missionaries like that. To be worthy of experiences like that. To be men like those men and missionaries like J.J. What an awesome kid!!

Jamie said...

So Amazing. What an experience!!
Makes us grateful for our opportunites we take for granted!

Anonymous said...

Your parents must be very proud of your brother - I can't even imagine. People's lives are connected in the most interesting and important ways.

Brad and Jana said...

I love to hear missonary stories! I know what you mean, I hope my boys will have a desire to serve a mission also! It was such an awesome experience taking the missionary discussions with Brad! I love missionary work and those that are willing to do it!

Chelsey said...

Jobi, Chelsey here! Cute blog,cute family! I don't know how I got on here to see it, becaues I thought it was invite only but here I am. If it is invite only, invite me. It is fun to see you. Check out mine.

Des said...

Hey! That was an awesome story! It was so great to see you too!!! It is crazy how life gets so busy and you really lose track of time. I can only imagine how it is for you because I have one and he is pretty tame right now :) Your boys are so cute!!! I hope Kale is as cute as they are when he gets older. Thanks for doing my hair. I love having someone I trust to do it. Your blog is so cute, lets hang out again soon!!!!!

The Leatherberry's said...

Wow!! That story just gave me chills! I love missionary stories. They always remind me that I could be doing a ton better in my life. Missionary work is truly amazing! We really do have it so good here.

Lisa Johnson said...

That made me cry, too! I can't even imagine living like that, and yet they are so faithful. I always judge Laman & Lemuel when I read about them, but I'm pretty sure that I would be right there along w/ them murmuring. What a neat story and experience for your brother to know those great saints!

Staci Davies said...

That story just gave me chills. What an amazing experience. Thanks for sharing, it makes us realize a lot. J.J is doing such a great job!